Wednesday, August 19, 2015

eighteen

eighteen and sixteen.  the boys are officially on their way out.  

friday night, todd's birthday request was attending the opening of Straight Outta Compton.  so, we threw our fifty buck contribution into the $60 million box office debut and claimed seats at the theater that topped the country in opening weekend Compton ticket sales.   

that's right.  an atlanta theater holds the #1 position in box office sales for last weekend, leading a top ten with nine LA area theaters.  (why do i feel a touch of pride about that?) 

what a movie.  tremendously moving.  engrossing in the complexity.  heart-breakingly enlightening.  and in contrast to the aforementioned pride, utterly humbling.  

one of the pivotal events in the film occurred in my eighteenth year and the entirety of the story spanned my adolescence.  yet, here i am over twenty years later, sitting beside my eighteen year old son,  and getting an education.  although the music and names were familiar, the story was altogether foreign to me.  and that was so very sobering.  

it's boggling how much longer my own childhood felt to me than my boys' has.  to me.  although at times i've thought their "eighteen" would never arrive; overall, the paradox of time has compressed their youth into an instant. 

however, when i left the theater friday night shoulder-to-shoulder with my peers and his, i realized how much broader his life experience has been, than mine was at the same age.  so much content in so little time.  how much bigger his world is.  and in turn, how much bigger mine is.  

ever-expanding.  
ever-learning. 
ever-grateful. 

d:  put it on the required viewing list.  everyone.  asap.  
b:  straight outta lake claire, my heart and mind were moved
g:  shared experiences that continue to enlarge my world

No comments:

Post a Comment