Tuesday, April 18, 2017

source

-photo by Tommy Vohs

consider the source.  

i've heard that and said it my whole life...the context evolving over time.  but it has come to reside in my consciousness now in a way it never has before.  

consider the source. 

my earliest associations with the phrase were moments of disdain...eventually an endpoint from a statement of exasperation morphed into resignation.   

consider the source. 

when todd brought forensic debate into my life, this became a strategic tenet and opportunity for advantage.  a charge and a tactic.  both a caution and a buttress.  

consider the source.

as i've aged, the mantra has served as a reminder of compassion...empathy.  my mom has long offered the wisdom, 'do the best you can, until you can do better.'  and i extend that sentiment outwards. 

consider the source. 

but now, i turn the scrutiny on myself.  my first-person perspective juxtaposes omniscience with blinders and only one truth is certain.  it's dark in here. 

consider the source.

just as i wouldn't ask a blind man for directions, i wonder if i'm to be trusted with the decisions of my own life.   my disdain looms in the shadows, casting another layer of darkness into the dark.  

consider the source.

last night i was met in this place and a hand extended.  an ear offered.  and the words i heard in reply to my blind stumblings were familiar and gentle.  wisdom passed down and back up again. 

d:  a nightlight
b:  a consideration granted
g:  a listener in the dark

No comments:

Post a Comment