Thursday, July 9, 2015

riddled

not long ago i wrote here wishing i operated this blog anonymously.  that i didn't have to be quite so vulnerable or specifically that my vulnerability didn't have to reach as far as my friends and family.  (hence not very vulnerable at all.  that point was lost on me.) but the reality is that my wish for anonymity was sort of tongue-in-cheek because if it weren't for my own sharing of my writings, via facebook or otherwise, nobody would ever know. 

this week as i've written a few times and shared none of them with my social networks, i keep thinking of the age old philosophical question: 
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
i once was in a forest and heard a tree fall.  it was terrifying.  every time that question runs through my head, i remember the crack and crash as if it just happened.  my immediate response when posed that question is 'of course.'  but then when i really started to consider it (and research it, to be totally honest...because that's what i do)  i've learned that's not the 'correct' answer.  

according the 1883 magazine, The Chautauquan, and later supported by Scientific American, sound is technically vibration of air and only recognized as sound by our ears.. hence, no ears, no sound.   i attest that's a semantic conclusion and i would make a case that if sound is vibration and vibration still occurs, the sound is there regardless of whether it's heard.  but so be it.  i won't be the one to solve that riddle.  not today at least.

but when it comes to my writing.. i am happy to report that whether i'm read or not read, whether i'm known or anonymous, the words are still here; preserved, so to speak, in pixelated cyber-ink.  and perhaps without the bugler's proclamation of a new posting, those who do find their way here will know the words they stumbled upon were meant for them.  

d:  stumblings-upon
b:  writing for me instead of you
g:  synchronistic logistics

No comments:

Post a Comment