Friday, July 10, 2015

aligned

today on my way to work, i said to a friend, i really don't have time to work if i want to do all the things i love.  for some reason, that was funny to the other person, though i meant it with sincerity and earnestness.   

i think most of the time, i hear the reverse, there's no time for the things i love to do.  and i've certainly misspoken and said that myself on occasion.  but i am here today to say, emphatically, my heart aligns with the former declaration, rather than the latter. 

one of my best friends and i have discussed this notion that 'working', as in having a job, is a criteria that she evaluates people on.  the conversation started after she met someone who taken an early retirement and it made my friend suspicious.  in contrast, i found it fascinating and admirable.  when i said to her, if i didn't have to, i wouldn't work either; she was appalled.  and i laughed.  

there are so many things i love to do.. and i give the best and bulk of my day to my job.  i find it ludicrous and incredibly disappointing that a certain presidential candidate publicly stated that americans need to work more hours.. history and an astute study of the rest of the developed nations would prove quite the opposite.  

but i digress... my point was simply this:  while i love my job (most days), i love many more things, much more.  one day, my time allocation will reflect that.  i am certain.  meanwhile, i will dedicate quality time in the place of quantity time to the things that make me happiest.  

like making ice cream. 

d:  mocha chocolate chip, yum
b:  aligned with happiness
g:  sharing ice cream with mom, soon.  very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment