Saturday, September 5, 2009

aged

i think i've aged over the past twenty-four hours. last night i looked at pictures of friends from college whose oldest child just entered college. i remember when he was a baby. as i searched their faces for what i remember and looked at older versions of my friends, i couldn't help but wonder how different i must be too.

then today haley and i drove up from atlanta to asheville. it's the first time i've been here in 12 years, i think. i couldn't remember a single highway name or number until i was upon them and even then the familiar and the alien ran together. i actually had to stop and ask directions to downtown, never mind that i lived here and worked here for years.

(in fact, i still have a key to a local movie theater on my key chain. but could i get there? probably not.)

and in case you were wondering, asheville is a black hole for the gps satellite. yep, it is. take note if you want to escape surveillance - this is the place.

but maybe there's something to be said for being older and more forgetful because asheville looked fresh to me. the charm and the energy and the entire downtown vibe - all of it was shiny and new.

so tomorrow when i venture back to my old college campus if i suddenly feel very old in the face of what i don't remember, i choose to focus on the gift of rediscovery because i do remember that the G is the most important letter in dbg.

despite my absence of published blogs, i've been practicing my dbgs and writing my blogs, all in my aging, forgetful head.

d: memories to fill the holes in my head.
b: i found a very cute antique cabin for the weekend - convenient and quaint.
g: a map i picked up in the cabin rental office!

No comments:

Post a Comment