Tuesday, January 12, 2010

abundance

tonight luke asked me, 'mommy, how can i make $100 fast?' to which i replied, 'i wish i knew.' what he means of course is 'what can i do that you'll give me $100 for?' i suppose from his point of view that's 'earning' money, but from mine the value equation is a bit off if i could do it myself for free.

everything is relative, eh?

i lost a day yesterday to stress about money. i don't let that happen often. i usually am able to just trust that it will all come out in the wash.. one way or the other, i try not to give money too much power. perhaps now more than ever, when my cash flow is basically at the whim of an accounting person with other more interesting things to do than approve my invoices, i find myself forced to practice extreme trust in the flow. extreme trust.
but then sometimes i fail miserably.

after wasting yesterday's emotional energy in a spiral of lack, i said aloud in the car to haley, 'i need to feel abundance.'

and then today, i did.

it started with a visit to a second potential orthodontist for todd. this one was not only more professional,
has a better facility (including an office conveniently in midtown for my future in-town home), and more experienced and surprisingly more progressive too; but also was less expensive with better payment arrangements. while i'm still looking at a nearly 5k investment, the ten percent savings definitely goes in the abundance column.

after the orthodontic consultation, we stopped for gas on the way to school. he begged for a lottery ticket so i picked up a scratch off with my mega millions ticket. i've been sort of apathetic about the lottery lately. haven't bought many tickets, haven't been keeping up, and haven't even enjoyed my typical weekly $1 scratch offs. but today i acquiesced and bought one on todd's whim. and we won three dollars. hardly a jackpot, but every dollar adds up. and that was another couple in the abundance column.

and then, at the office, i logged into my checking account and to my utter amazement noted that all of my outstanding invoices had been paid. yes, it was money due to me. but there's been only one other brief moment in the past six months in which all of my invoices were paid in full. i mean, i've actually gotten accustomed to having one lag and i don't complain. but when there are three or four, it becomes quite painful.

tonight when i tucked luke into bed he said, 'mommy, do you see anything in here that's worth lots of money?' (ie to sell) and i said, 'no sweetie, not really. but there are lots of things you could sell for small amounts...they do add up, you know.'

d: an abundance column overflowing with small numbers.
b: my manifesting power rescued me from my spiral.
g: teachable moments teaching the teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Ever read the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad? Great for teaching parents how to teach their children about making money.

    ReplyDelete