Wednesday, January 6, 2010

resolute

-photo by renee lewis

well, here i am nearly a week into a new year and just now realizing i haven't written or even had a moment fully to myself since some time weeks ago. but that's ok. i'm not a big new year's resolution kind of person and often i meet a new year with the feeling it's already begun months ago (probably due to the nature of my work where i'm constantly focused on events far in the future).

but today when i realized we're only a week into 2010, i felt a huge sense of accomplishment. though the christmas trees are still up, both boys have new bedrooms. haley and i worked, or rather slaved, in their rooms for nearly three days at the end of our holiday vacation. you'd think we painted intricate murals or laid mosaic tile floors in all that time, but rather we simply removed wallpaper murals and borders and repainted.

though i should have learned my lesson earlier in life, after many horrendous wallpaper removal projects, i somehow lost my way when the boys were young, fell in love with some pirates and a canopy, and forgot what hell it would be to change down the road. this time the lesson has been concretely sealed in the vault of my memory.

paint, linens and a general purging of all things garbage or out-grown has turned both rooms into amazing spaces. i find myself wanting to be in their rooms more than my own. and in fact, while i was scraping threads of paper off todd's wall with my fingernails, i realized that while this is the second time they've each had a wholesale bedroom overhaul since we built this house, my room is the only one that's still sporting the builder's off-white on the walls. even the 'formal dining room' in which there's no table or chairs and is used simply as a holding tank for future goodwill donations has been painted.

now, i'm not about to launch into a maternal martyr monologue because i generally do take good care of myself. i buy myself things when i want or need them. i put myself first every day with my commitment to the gym. i take adult time with haley and i do place value on my own needs and desires in our family schedule.

so, i'm going to paint my bedroom this year. there you have it: a new year's resolution. and since that's a "once and done" type resolution, i'll go ahead and share the others i've thrown out there. i'm going to drink water between every set, while i'm working out. (because i really just forget to drink when i'm lifting.) and i'm going to return tools to the tool box after using them. (because i often just stow them in a cabinet or drawer and when i need them next, well...home depot is only two minutes away. however i must add, this does result in a well stocked tool box when i actually collect them all - i have at least a dozen screw drivers in the same size; two stud finders; a couple sets of allen wrenches; etc, etc.)

i'm excited about this year. todd said he felt like we were getting a 'fresh start' with the new paint and i do too.

d: de-christmasing, coming soon to my home
b: the boys' rooms look awesome!
g: an opportunity to write, utilized.

No comments:

Post a Comment