Friday, April 24, 2009

passion

Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things.
~denis diderot

when haley said to me, 'either i'm obsessed, or it's dead to me' i knew i was in trouble. i thought to myself, 'who let her in my head?!' that's my MO to a tee and the potential with another person on that same plane did not escape me.

i've always been an obsessive person and, while it drives my mom nuts, it's something i love about myself. i stumble across interests and projects and submerge myself into them and draw all my energy from that passion. oh, and people. i'd be remiss if i didn't fess up to that.

i've noticed that my most creative and inspired thoughts and ideas - my great things - all are born out of these intensely obsessive intervals. it’s as if all my senses are heightened and my intuition is on overdrive. in fact, my everything is on overdrive.

when i was younger, i detested this trait. it didn't serve me well in college. 90% down the path to veterinarian.. and then oh no... i think i'll go study film, yeah film. umm, no.. nevermind, maybe biology or communications.. or..

but now i embrace that in myself. frankly, i'd rather have the intensity and the zeal for something - even if it's one thing after another, than to live in the middle and have many interests that i'm ho hum about.

luke is very much like me in this way. he's insanely obsessive about fill-in-the-blank. right now it's star wars. we spent a good year or so on raccoons. another year on landscaping. costumes were a theme for a few years, i'd come home from work fearful about what he'd cut and sewed and markered and glued and taped together to create his latest. harness the power behind the passion, i say to him.

and today, i feel powerful beyond belief. i feel creative, in both senses of the word. i feel inspired and challenged and supported. i am overflowing with ideas and intensity. i am joyful. i am in the flow.

and i am fueled by great passion.


d: something delicious... it's dinner time.

b: an excellent hair day, if i do say so myself. which i do. because it's my blog. and my brag.

g: synchronicity! coincidence? i don't think so.

1 comment: