Saturday, August 22, 2009

cast

Inside all of us is hope
Inside all of us is fear...
Inside all of us is adventure
Inside all of us is a wild thing.

-where the wild things are, the film

the first night i met mel she told me about a cast of characters that she can break into.. voices and personalities complete with names. i was wary and filed that away wondering what it meant about haley. did she have them too? was it a sign of some larger mental disturbance that i should run from? they are twins after all.

of course i wanted a demonstration. i think that's the natural reaction. and i was told that the characters were sort of under their own control. and had to come out on their own.

umm, ok.
that's when i first started worrying about a potential dsm-iv diagnosis.

but now, six months later, i've got a couple of these characters myself. (here's where i start to lose my audience, i'm afraid.) and now i get it.

it's the strangest thing and i can't even believe i'm admitting it publicly. i certainly don't think most people would ever meet my characters, but i'm here to tell you, it's the most fun you can have without an illegal substance. really.

i don't know why i never spoke in a different character before in my life; perhaps it's contagious. and so i wonder, is this my split? is this my break from reality? i hear that some mental illnesses don't come on until mid-thirties... tada! or perhaps it's simply a matter of knowing that you can be a lunatic among the lunatics.

or maybe, just maybe these little voices, little people within us are just our wild things.. they are just our fears and our hopes and our adventurers all clamoring for a voice.

and if so, i want to give all of my wild things voices because i believe it is they who give me mine.

d: voices for my voice.
b: wild things welcome here!
g: a creative outlet i didn't know i had.

1 comment:

  1. I think i had already found the wild thing in side you before you wrote this and that makes me think that you cant see your own wild thing until you've discovered it. Todd

    ReplyDelete