Sunday, August 23, 2009

melody

tonight as i listened to todd having his drum lesson and luke upstairs practicing the guitar it surprised me how unlike most loud and cacophonous sounds, it didn't irritate me at all. in fact, i find the slow, repetitive, successive and building nature of a music lesson soothing.

this may be another example of learning what you live because although i haven't ever had a bit of musical talent myself, i've always been around people who did or, at the very least, loved music. in the blurry memory of my childhood there are years and years of haze.. but throughout it all, a soundtrack.

my parents' music. bands i groupied around with in high school. 45s on my scratchy record player. guitar being played in the next room. my mom singing in the kitchen or the bathroom or the garden.

and now as an adult i find that the people i'm closest to - haley, both my boys, my family, jackie - are all passionate about music. it's something i admire and appreciate. i can't name a song or an artist or sing a melody of a song that i may know like the back of my hand, but in my own way, i love music too.

last night todd and i went to see the movie Bandslam. it was a teen movie about a kid and this band he managed in high school. some romantic drama. some tortured teen drama. and some loving and awkward teenage moments for a teenage boy and his single mom. we loved it.

we went for the music storyline, didn't know about the other part of the story. but in the way it always does, the music brought it all together.

and so it is in my home. as haley teaches todd to play drums and luke practices his guitar and i wash the dishes; i am melodiously content.

d: more music in my home.
b: todd is joining mega at her rank of prodigy. just ask his drum teacher.
g: that i lived a musical childhood to learn its appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment