Thursday, March 18, 2010

birthday

it's my party and i'll cry if i want to. or, it's my birthday at least.

it seems as though the gods didn't decide to spare me any punches simply because it is march 18th. though luke is recovered from his stomach virus and there's no sign of it taking up residence in either todd or me, my day has left a knot in my stomach.

getting out of town in the morning is the only thing keeping me together.

i'm sure i sound like a broken record but the entire process of readying this house for sale is nearly worth the mortgage i can't afford. today i got a call from the handyman with an estimate on the repairs. $1900. when i clearly was speechless, he offered to knock $500 off. but that's sort of like taking it from a million to a hundred grand at this point.

(and this is just for the carpentry repairs. i still am owed a quote by the roofer and the landscaper.)

did i mention i'll be lucky to break even on the house with commissions, before i spend anything on repairs?

so, overwhelmed with the task is now taking a back seat to overwhelmed with the cost. and honestly, i thought the former pretty much filled the car.

yes, it's my birthday and i'll cry if i want to.

add to that things like my indestructible kirby vacuum deciding to take its last breath last night and too many sleep deprived nights and oh yeah i have to pay my car tag before midnight and the lizards haven't eaten in weeks, and, and...

yeah, things like that.

but all is not lost. i got a hair cut today. it looks great. haley and i found a new restaurant that absolutely will make our top five list (basil's for those of you in atlanta). the boys and i had dinner together and they each ordered salads with no urging from me. haley put together a rockin new play list for me to spin to and i gave myself a gift of fitness.

i planned three workouts for my birthday gift to myself. one first thing this morning. one in the late afternoon. and then todd and i were going to get in a third tae kwon do class for the week. i made the first two. the idea of course was to alleviate the guilt that would be forthcoming when i had birthday desserts. it worked, for the most part.

and now, haley just walked in from work. with a tres leches from tierra. oh well, we are about to bike, hike and tennis our way through a weekend getaway. i think i can have the cake.

d: escape to the mountains. asap.
b: i have the best friends and girlfriend: they are already at work on my handyman crisis.
g: it's my birthday and i can cry if i want to. or laugh. i choose the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment