Wednesday, November 4, 2009

wrong

tonight the boys and i went to see this is it, the michael jackson documentary. i won't pretend that i've been a huge fan or anything. i loved his music growing up, of course; but i filed him under F for freak after he dropped from the limelight and i paid his later headlines little heed.

tonight i stand corrected. tonight i sat in amazement. jaw agape. and wondered how i missed the artistry behind his music and his work.

perhaps it happens a lot that true art isn't realized or appreciated until the artist is gone. that's what they say, at least. and i find that tragic and sad. (not just because i'm in love with an artist, either.)

i have my theories about why that is and i don't think it's a sign of a deteriorating society, or anything of the like. i think, if you look closer at human nature, we often don't appreciate what we have until it's gone. art.. family.. health..

but i digress. back to the film.. i found jackson's creative vision and all-encompassing ownership of his music to be riveting. the layers and the complexities of what he created around each song and the production associated with the developing concert changed my perspective entirely. while i would never consider music to be one-dimensional, perhaps i wouldn't automatically categorize it in the dimensions jackson did.

perhaps this makes no sense to those of you who haven't seen the film. perhaps it makes no sense to those of you who have. i simply am finding myself at a loss for the right words.

what i can put into words though is this... i was wrong. i was wrong in my dismissal. i was wrong in my marginalization.

and i am so very sorry i had to see a documentary of tour rehearsals rather than the tour itself.

d: more compassion and appreciation for the incomprehensible among us
b: i'm starting with the (wo)man in the mirror...
g: better late than never.

1 comment:

  1. I'm just so glad that Ortega gave us the concert film we otherwise would never have gotten to see. As a film, it worked so well.

    As a portrait of a man, it is revealing and honest - presenting his vision, his heart ("with the love"), his enormous talent. After being such a fan for so long, I could never entirely dismiss him. I had the poster and calendar on my bedroom walls; the ticket stub to the Victory tour still sits in my scrapbook. Still, I had come to think the Michael Jackson I loved was long since gone. This film gave me a chance to see he wasn't, and for that I'm very grateful.

    ReplyDelete