Monday, June 22, 2009

shiny

Your face crept into that space
between my reflex and my resolve.

Kinda like the crevice you don’t notice

til it takes down the damn wall.

~excerpted from Checking My Pulse by alix olson

tonight i took the boys to the movies. that is to say we all saw movies simultaneously, though we each saw something different. luke chose star trek, todd night at the museum and i saw the hangover. haley suggested it. i hadn't even seen a preview, but she claimed that its reputation as 'the funniest movie ever' was worth validating for ourselves.

the movie was pretty entertaining. i laughed a lot and i needed it. self one was wrecking havoc in my head because i didn't make it to the gym and i still haven't taken off these extra ten pounds i put on since last fall. (see: versus for more on 'self one')

but the thing i remember most about the entire night was the way haley looked across the theater lobby. she and mel met me there. i was stirring some horrible excuse for creamer into my equally questionable coffee and i glanced over to the entry and saw them walking in. somehow, haley looked shiny and new to me.

not new as in unfamiliar, but new and exciting.
new and unexpected.
new and... shiny.
suddenly i flushed.. and then felt shy.
the boys rushed over to tell them about the wild dogs we spotted in the parking lot (an entire pack - and maybe they were wolves. or coyotes! yes, in the city limits. why not?)
i followed a few steps behind feeling like i was meeting my date at a school dance. hesitant. yet expectant.
and then haley looked up from the boys' faces to mine and our eyes locked.
and i got butterflies.
i have a crush. hope my girlfriend doesn't find out.

weddings have been sort of a theme over the past few days. we attended one on saturday that touched me profoundly. the love in the room was so thick, it was visible. the movie tonight had a couple of wedding subplots.

something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

i know that what haley and i have can't be considered something old yet, but tonight that delicious dichotomy of something familiar paired with something unknown overwhelmed me. and come to think of it, i was wearing haley's jeans.. borrowed and blue.

d: shiny new me.
b: shiny new love.
g: shiny new haley.

No comments:

Post a Comment