Sunday, May 24, 2009

i do

seventeen years is about half of my life. seventeen years ago, i was seventeen. (well, ok 18 if you're being precise, but give me a little creative license.) seventeen years ago, i was a senior in high school. i got my first car. i moved out of my dad's house.

first steps into independence for me, seventeen years ago. at the same time my cousin amy stepped into marriage. she was a few years older than me and lived far away, so we haven't grown up close. but as a little girl i always looked up to her as 'my beautiful cousin amy'. there was an aura of mystery around her.

today she and her husband celebrate an anniversary of seventeen years and while it may be a non-event for some people 'on the way to twenty', i beg to differ. every anniversary is a milestone and every year is a gift. and spending half of my lifetime with a partner you love and respect is something i believe worth celebrating. (ok, nearly half. i know.)

i've been noticing marriages that span the decades lately. it's representative of a change in my belief structure on the matter. a year ago, or maybe even six months ago, i would've put myself in the 'it's overrated and unnecessary' camp on the institution. and now i find myself inspired and awestruck by the married people i know. i want that.

i do.

i left a message for amy today telling her that her seventeen years give hope to those of us in new love 'hoping to celebrate a 17th in 17 years'.. and she replied that she looked forward to reading my status then, referring to facebook.

my only doubt is the lifespan of the website...

happy anniversary amy. and thank you.

d: 17 upon 17 for you.
b: i'm a new believer in forever marriage.
g: no doubt.

3 comments:

  1. this is great, jess. hope i one day fit into that category, too. let's chat about it in 17...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that every anniversary is a milestone, and i thank you for helping mark this one in such a special way. i truly believe that choosing to want such a long-term commitment is the most important step in being able to achieve one.

    so welcome to this camp :) and if fb is long since gone, i'll find some way to find out your status 17 years from now.

    d: 17 upon 17 for you
    b: i once had an aura of mystery!
    g: getting to know you better all these years later

    ReplyDelete
  3. longevity, the only worthwhile symbol status. No short cut to it.

    congratulations! =)

    ReplyDelete