Monday, May 11, 2009

read

I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

~vincent van gogh

i've found a new favorite thing to do since i've taken up weekend residence on selman street. the neighborhood is a treasure trove for late night strolls under the stars. and it seems like every time haley and i venture out we find something unexpected and delightful.

storefronts from the early 1900's converted to homes and businesses, dog peepholes, bars and restaurants amid the art gardens and lofts, enviable color schemes - and so much more. but the best part of all is looking through the windows into the homes filled with life and personality and.. dreams.

filled with dreams. dreams coming true and dreams being shattered and dreams manifesting.

or maybe that's what i'm doing when i walk down those streets hand in hand with haley. dreaming. it's a specialty of mine and i look at the sky more than i look at the road, looking for shooting stars and full moons.

under the veil of darkness and the light of the stars the houses and yards are mysterious. the soft glow of life is inviting my imagination and the peeling paint, and dust and clutter are hidden in the shadows. thankfully, people only rarely cross the windows, intersecting my dream with their reality.

i'm on their couch with a book. i'm straightening that crooked painting and turning on the lamp. i'm climbing the stairs to the loft and turning down the bed. i'm pouring a glass of wine and chatting on the phone. and then someone shuffles by the window in their bathrobe and i'm on the sidewalk, making conversation about the color of their trim and front door and would the color be too bright in the daylight.

and i know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

i inventory my dreams and find everything from a sheep farmer in new zealand, to an actress in hollywood, to a veterinarian with a country equine practice, to a florist in paris and then i bump into the corner of my cube wall and bruise my hip. dreams intersecting reality.

i sit down at my desk and turn to my computer screen and start to write. time and office chatter fade away and i'm back on tye street walking past the turtle park, peeking through curtains, laughing, and dreaming.

i''ve been writing for as long as i can remember. i have thousands of pages of notebooks filled with stories of my life. stories of my dreams. and a dream of being read.

dreams do come true.

d: shooting stars and full moons.
b: in my dreams i manifested my reality.
g: you, my reader.

2 comments: