Wednesday, July 15, 2009

dusk

dusk
one of my favorite words.
absolutely my favorite time of day.
the time it is right now.

my golden writing hour.

my get-your-novel-written-this-month-if-it-kills-you-dammit coach writes in his book that you should identify your golden hour or hours and capitalize on them. write like a madman, er madwoman, at that time every day. schedule your life around those hours so that you can be at your computer then. write critical scenes then. work on the dialogues that have you stumped. develop the evil nemesis' psyche then. etcetera, etcetera.

that's worked pretty well for me the past couple of days. but today i'm blogging. i'm on the front porch of my house, in a rocking chair, blogging. instead of noveling. (is noveling a word??)

i think that the hours between sunset and nightfall are the finest in the day because they are charged with a momentum of change. the energy of evening is rolling into the city.. in a physical sense, most people are moving from their work routines into a more relaxed state, with family, friends.. at home or at least, at ease. the heat of the day, especially at this time of year, is receding and the smells of night are rising.

but most of all, the thing i love about dusk is the sky. it's truly hazardous to my health and others' for me to be behind a wheel from 8-9 pm in the summer (varying hours at other times of year), because my eyes are fixated on the sky. the clouds. the sun. the colors reflecting on the houses, even on the roads. though it happens every day, i still look up and marvel at the pink and purple beauty.

and the haze that brightens everything, as if coming from the ground up, colors my cheeks.. i always think, 'i should be on a patio with haley right now..' it's definitely a color of love.. rich with emotion. perhaps that's why i like it so.

the sun is now below my horizon and the sky a pale color that falls between grey and pink. it perfectly matches my mood.

i feel dusk.

d: golden writing hour extended another 1700 words - eek
b: i'm caught up on the 'a day...'
g: dusk comes daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment