Wednesday, July 1, 2009

zoom

yesterday, sitting in a pancake restaurant having brunch with my mom, aunt diana, and the boys before we left hot springs, across the street i saw some older touristy type folks zooming by on segways. one lady was really flying, leaving her friends way behind. then there were a couple of folks in the middle of the pack, talking to each other while they glided by the parked cars and foot pedestrians. and in the back of the group, two men pulled up the rear. although also on segways, they were ambling nevertheless. it didn't appear they were going any faster than they might've on foot.

the thing that struck me about this group of motorized sidewalk strollers was how effortless they made the segways look. sure, i've seen the ads and i've seen the machines in use before, but this demographic perfectly balanced and traversing uneven curbs, hills and doorways as though floating really hit a chord with me.

it was as if they were propelled simply by intention. and in fact, they were.

the segway moves forward, backward, left and right simply by the slightest weight shift of its rider. the merest hint of intention in a direction and it intuits the path.

it's so simple.
intention. direction. power.
illustrated to me by a fleet of elderly on personal human transporters and applicable to me in such a profound way.

where my mind goes, my body follows.
where my mind goes, my world follows.
where my mind goes...
where my mind goes?
where my mind goes!

d: a traveling mind unbound by uneven terrain, cracks in the sidewalk and curbs to jump.
b: i speak segway.
g: speed limited only by strength of intention.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you ought to consider embracing the uneven terrain, the cracks in the sidewalk and the curbs to jump (or climb?). I've often found that it's the more unusual, albeit more challenging, terrain that offers the greatest rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'd pick the middle of the pack. That zooming woman up front is likely to find herself sprawled out on the concrete the moment she intuits and intends herself over a particularly nasty crack. Use some caution when navigating such uncertain terrain ;)

    ReplyDelete